If you are putting your pet into a costume for the first time this Halloween, then you might want to keep a few things in mind. Planning and preparation are key, so don’t think you can just throw it together at the last minute.
Store Bought Halloween Pet Costumes or Homemade Costumes
Just like costumes for kids, you’ll need to decide if you want to buy your pet costume at a store, or if you want to make it yourself. There are pluses and minuses to each, so it’s worth considering before you plunge headlong down a path.
Store Bought Pet Costumes the Pluses and Minuses
Store Bought Pluses
- Can be done at the last minute
- Take less preparation
- A variety of options
- May be limited for any pet except your dog
- You don’t have to have any pet costume making skills like sewing
- You don’t have to be creative
Store Bought Minuses
- May not fit very well
- May only be worn once
- It’s likely to be more expensive
- They can be rather ordinary
Homemade Pet Costumes the Pluses and Minuses
Homemade Costume Pluses
- You get more props for your creativity
- You also get more laughs
- You can match the costume to fit your pet and its personality
- If you build it, they can probably wear it more than once
- It’s a one-of-a-kind – much more memorable
- You can make it fit perfectly
- Simple ideas can be pretty good
Homemade Costume Minuses
- You need to at least be able to come up with an idea
- Once you have the idea, you have to have the skills to make it
- Finding and putting together the materials
- You need time and patience, if you don’t have either then buy it and save yourself the frustration.
Where to Buy Pet Costumes
You might want to check at your local pet store. Some pet stores will carry Halloween pet costumes, but might not have much of a selection. The upside, you can touch the costume and see how if it is made and will be able to tell if it will fit your pet. There are a number of online pet costume shops and they typically have a selection of dog costumes, although some carry other Halloween pet costumes as well.
How Much do Pet Costumes Cost
If you buy a pet costume at a store, or if you make it yourself, you can expect to pay anywhere between $5 – $25. The more elaborate the costume, the more it will cost.
If you decide right away the costume you are going to get, or make for your pet, the easier the day will be.